Claims Data Strategic Analyst
Job Posting Details
About State Auto Insurance
In 1921, State Automobile Mutual Insurance Company was founded. With three employees and a rented room in downtown Columbus, Ohio, Bob Pein set forth to tackle the inequities in the insurance industry. From the very beginning, State Auto advocated the independent agency system as the best approach to serving the needs of its policyholders.
Responsible for the design, implementation and maintenance of Claims management reports (including their underlining databases) as they relate to the appropriate Business Intelligence Strategies.
* Develop Business Intelligence Strategies and develop data solutions to implement those strategies. This includes developing, deploying and maintaining databases in multiple formats (ex: MS Access, SQL Server, etc)
* Design, implement and maintain all types of Claims' reports across multiple reporting tools as well as their supporting databases, which also include ensuring high data quality within the reports.
* Gather business requirements from business users in regards to data needs and develop innovative solutions for those needs.
* Work with all departments within State Auto in the analysis of claims data to obtain insight from the data to develop competitive advantages for the company and also promote transparency within the Claims organization.
* Research new data sources and develop reporting on those sources (such as industry data for benchmarking purposes).
* May be called upon to perform additional duties as directed.
* Minimum Experience / Education:
* 8-years or more experience in development/maintenance of data structures and reports' implementation.
* Experiences in developing strategies required.
* A bachelor’s degree is required.
* Advanced degrees and designations preferred.
* Strong organizational skills, effective time management skills, and the ability to multi-task are required.
* Communication and Collaboration Skills:
* Written: Able to produce reports which are intuitive and assists users in analyzing data. Also, able to provide written statuses to the Claims Sr. Staff on strategies and projects.
* Oral: Able to speak with IT associates as well as Business-Unit associates. Able to speak and present to all levels of Claims management.
* Must be able to collaborate and develop strong team relationships with associates from within and outside the Claims Department.
* Technical Knowledge:
* Able to utilize teams to develop strategies. In-depth understanding of multiple types of database structures, including SQL and PMS. Able to develop and design databases. Able to write SQL programs to create queries for necessary data. Able to develop queries and reports in multiple reporting tools, such as Business Objects, MapPoint, MS Excel and MS Access. Able to quickly learn new reporting tools. Able to produce cost/benefit analysis reports. Process improvement or Six Sigma a plus. Insurance knowledge a plus (especially Claims knowledge).
* Problem Solving:
* Ability to develop creative to solutions to an array of problem and then to implement the solution is a must for this position.
* State Auto Values:
* Must be willing to work by the "values" established by State Auto.
Compensation and Working Conditions
Additional Notes on Compensation
Competitive salary, annual bonus program, excellent benefit program including medical, dental, vision and prescription insurance coverage, life insurance, matching 401(k) plan, flexible spending accounts, tuition assistance, and a stock purchase plan