Disseminating knowledge—through the publication of printed books, periodicals, and electronic files—beyond the confines of the University's campus.
Duke University Press seeks a Web Presence Manager to develop and deliver on a strategic roadmap for our web portfolio, aligning all sites in support of the Press’s business goals. Reporting to the Associate Director of Digital Strategy, the Web Presence Manager will work closely with members of the marketing, content production, and IT teams, as well as third-party vendors and partners to lead centralized planning, execution, and maintenance of the Press’s web assets. The Web Program Manager is responsible for long-term planning, project management, and some day-to-day management of the web portfolio.
- Engage key users and stakeholders, including business strategy leaders, to inform the strategic roadmap for the web portfolio, and execute on that roadmap.
- Plan for the ongoing development and extension of existing web assets to support the operations and strategic goals of the overall business
- Ensure that all properties within the DUP web portfolio are working in conjunction with each other to achieve business goals
**Project Management, Budget Management**
- Serve as leader and project manager on major development projects across the web portfolio
- Serve as leader of the cross-functional teams responsible for the ongoing management of each web site and across web sites
- Create and manage budgets for annual maintenance, strategic development, and major projects related to the web portfolio
**Web Best Practices**
- Establish and support the implementation of web standards and a consistent style for the DUP web sites
- Follow emerging trends and best practices in web technologies and user experience and incorporate them as appropriate into DUP’s web portfolio
- Create awareness across the Press and with stakeholders about web trends and technologies
**SEO and Analytics**
- Create, implement, enforce, and continuously improve search engine optimization practices
- Advise marketing and content production teams on best practices for maximizing the online discoverability of our publications, products, and services on the web
- Create and maintain a web analytics framework that supports site management and digital marketing activities
- Review analytics regularly for clues to site efficacy and usability. Regularly report on high-level use statistics related to site impact and site operations
- Support marketing and content production teams in use of the analytics tools for their own needs
- Work closely with the Press’s IT department, Duke University IT Security, and Duke University’s E-Commerce Office to ensure that all web applications are secure and compliant with industry standards and university policies
- Work with DUP IT to plan and manage the system integration and hosting requirements of the web portfolio
- Work with our social media team to align social media activity with web strategy and overall business strategy. Support them in the use of analytics tools to measure the efficacy of social media efforts
- Act as liaison between the vendor and the DUP editorial-production team when online publishing workflows (books and journals) intersect with general web development and maintenance
**Vendor Relationship Management**
- Manage key vendor relationships vital to the creation and ongoing management of our web presence
- Negotiate contracts; work the Press’s Contracts Manager to execute contracts
- Manage invoices from and payment to all web vendors
- BS or BA degree in journalism, marketing, English, graphic design or a related field.
- A minimum of 2 years applicable experience required.
- Graphic experience or background preferred. Proficiency with PC based environment in all Microsoft office products, HTML, Dreamweaver, Java Script, Acrobat, and some type of image editing product..
**Preferred Experience and Skills**
- Exceptional communication and presentation skills, with a commitment to proactive communication to and cultivation of stakeholders.
- Proven, effective leadership and ability to lead effectively through influence.
- Proven ability to build, maintain, and develop effective relationships with vendors and colleagues from different backgrounds and levels of technical ability
- Strategic and analytical thinking skills with an ability to solve problems and make decisions
- Experience developing and delivering complex web projects, with the appropriate attention to all aspects of the project development life cycle.
- Excellent facilitation and interpersonal skills
- Excellent attention to detail and ability to follow-through on tasks in a timely manner
- Ability to translate user/client input into project goals, deliverables and project plans
- Familiarity with one or more popular content management systems, e.g. Drupal, WordPress, Joomla.
- Experience in publishing or scholarly communications
- Experience managing longstanding, complex partner and vendor relationships
Apply to Duke University Press (Web Presence Manager)
The best way to apply is by creating a DreamHire profile. This will ensure that your background and skills are accurate, and you can save your application as a draft and finish it later. It takes a few minutes to set up your profile.