Intuitive Surgical, Inc. (Nasdaq:ISRG), headquartered in Sunnyvale, California, is the global technology leader in robotic-assisted, minimally invasive surgery. Intuitive Surgical develops, manufactures and markets robotic technologies designed to improve clinical outcomes and help patients return more quickly to active and productive lives. The Company's mission is to extend the benefits of minimally invasive surgery to the broadest possible base of patients.
This position offers an opportunity for a candidate with exceptional embedded software development skills to work on projects ranging from blue-sky research to those ready for transition to product development groups. A successful candidate must excel in a high-energy small focused team environment, must have excellent communication skills and must be able to balance independent production of results with the need to collaborate during planning, system integration, and evaluation of research concepts. The ability to learn rapidly, as well as to drive to creative—yet practical—solutions from rough requirements are essential in this position. The candidate will work closely with other members of the research group and several product development groups on research/product concepts, implementation, and systems integration. A strong sense of shared responsibility and shared reward is required, as is the ability to make work fun and interesting.
* Work on a cross-functional engineering research team to design, develop, and integrate embedded software for current and future surgical robotic platforms.
* Contribute to multiple areas of software development for the implementation/integration of high quality research prototypes used to evaluate new product concepts, including but not limited to the following areas:
* Data capture, data integrity, security, storage, transmission, and computation analysis.
* Develop API library and interface software, to interact with surgical robot.
* Develop software for integration of servo/motor electronics, sensor and robot peripherals.
* Implementation of novel user interfaces.
* Complete early stage research and proof-of-concept work to establish technical feasibility and clinical value. This will include rapid iterations of prototype development and evaluation.
* Build applications and infrastructure that are extensible and robust while working in small teams.
* Create white papers and documentation for software architecture(s) and libraries.
* Work with, and support, external research partners and collaborators.
* Bachelor's or Master's degree (Master's degree preferred), with minimum five (5) years of industry experience in developing embedded systems.
* Rich experience in developing complete software solutions for embedded systems using C/C++, Inter process communication (IPC) and multithreaded/multitasking on Linux and real-time operating systems.
* Demonstrated expertise in one or more of the following areas, with ability to grow into new areas: data handling, user interfaces, computer graphics, real-time embedded systems, video pipelining and real time surgical data streaming.
* Hands on experience with software build process, software testing and test automation.
* Experience in socket communication and API library development are a plus.
* Experience on Matlab, Python, CUDA and GUI frameworks is preferable.
* Proven ability to identify new technologies and principles, to rapidly develop product concepts based on such technologies, within an applied research role.
* Proficiency in all phases of the Software Development Life Cycle.
* Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
* Excellent communication and documentation skills.
* Experience in design/development in the medical device industry a plus.
Apply to Intuitive Surgical (Embedded Software Engineer)
The best way to apply is by creating a DreamHire profile. This will ensure that your background and skills are accurate, and you can save your application as a draft and finish it later. It takes a few minutes to set up your profile.