Something extraordinary happens when pets and people connect. A unique bond is formed that results in something powerful, not only between pets and people, but in a way that makes the world a better place. Our promise is to nurture that relationship completely–mind and body.
Provide accounting expertise, consultation/guidance, support and analyses for Vendor funding. Serve as the first point of contact for internal parties. Expedite the resolution of accounting issues including the review of contractual documents in compliance with PETCO’s business practices. Perform monthly analysis and accounting of vendor programs and determine the proper timing for revenue recognition (annual income controlled = $80,000,000). This function is the overall control point for all revenue accounting/recognition and forecasting within the Accounting Operations group. This function performs both statistical and financial analysis. Analytical functions consume about 40% of the time.
* Review/authorize promotional programs and contracts with emphasis on the financial impact to PETCO. Communicate accounting concerns with presented contracts/programs to business partners and provide recommendations on contract/program modifications.
* Work with Inventory Management, CMO organization and the Merchant Analysis group to prepare monthly forecasts for vendor consideration, rebates, terms discount and returned/damaged goods. Prepare forecasts, challenge results, generate follow-up questions and gather answers to these questions. Present forecasts to members of the Senior Management group and respond to missed forecast results to Senior Management.
* Identify and communicate process weaknesses and make recommendations to automate functions and limit reporting/accounting risks around vendor contracts.
* Determine the proper accounting treatment and timing of revenue recognition for vendor supported programs. Provide accounting guidance to internal parties. The incumbent is held accountable for the accuracy of these accounting decisions as they are not subject to a detailed supervisor review.
* Perform special projects and ad-hoc analysis for management. Analyze and respond to more complex inquires involving higher level of understanding for accounting and documentation, sometimes critical and time sensitive.
* Directly manage and provide guidance for one Senior Accountant and two professional level financial analysts to include interviewing, training, performance evaluations.
* Provide financial guidance cross-functionally to non-financial officers and managers
* The majority of work duties are conducted while seated indoors, with little or no exposure to hazards. Some travel may be required on a limited basis.
**Education and Experience:**
* A 4-year degree in Accounting/Finance plus a minimum of 5 years progressively responsible experience is required preferably in a high volume retail accounting environment. Equivalent relevant experience can be substituted for a degree.
* Applicants must be accurate, detail oriented and proficient with PC based systems. Previous experience working with PeopleSoft financial software is strongly preferred. Strong interpersonal communications skills are necessary due to the nature and level of interaction with other department personnel as well as senior management. This position is required to be a pivotal contributor to change which could involve systems, accounting and third parties.
Apply to Petco Animal Supplies, Inc. (Lead Accountant)
The best way to apply is by creating a DreamHire profile. This will ensure that your background and skills are accurate, and you can save your application as a draft and finish it later. It takes a few minutes to set up your profile.