To Serve the Church: Our corporate mission guides us daily, and it leads us to return net proceeds through the Our Sunday Visitor Institute to hundreds of Catholic organizations throughout the United States. The Institute awards funds for projects focused on evangelization, catechesis, stewardship and vocations.
Incumbent will develop, maintain, and implement web, mobile, and desktop applications as products for Our Sunday Visitor customers, as well as applications in support of the business functions within Our Sunday Visitor. The incumbent is expected to internalize OSV’s SDLC and standard programming and documentation practices. The incumbent will work in a team environment with members representing Quality Assurance, Infrastructure, Product Management and Customer Care in the development of software products for sale in OSV’s market, and software solutions for OSV operations that improve internal processing and translate into potential cost savings for the company. The incumbent will lead and/or manage projects through their implementation, directing the activity of other development team members.
* Code, and maintain web applications, using Ruby on Rails, in accordance with OSV procedures and practices.
* Monitor website performance and proactively maintain application performance
* Lead code reviews and provide direction in support of coding standards and documentation procedures and practices
* Lead analysis and review sessions with teams of cross functional stake holders
* Assist in the development of junior staff members
* Assist lead developers in the management of projects
* Participate in the development of department goals in support of OSV strategic goals
* Provide production support as necessary
* Debugging and critical thinking ability
* Good communication skills, both verbal and written
* Strong technical skills including demonstrated expert understanding of software development and project management principles
* Ability to develop software, holding differing roles on multiple projects, with shifting priorities, while meeting personal and team deadlines and goals
* Ability to lead and inspire project teams members
* This position will handle confidential data, and confidentiality must be maintained
* 7+ years of professional experience developing software applications
* 2+ years of professional project management experience on medium to large projects
* Broad experience demonstrating success with Agile methodologies
* Solid understanding of Ruby on Rails
* Experience with Active Record, RSpec, and Git
* Familiarity with React, Webpack, and Docker a plus
* Proven understanding of OO design principals
* Extensive understanding of organization’s goals and objectives
* Project management experience
* Knowledge of cloud hosting services (Amazon, Azure, etc.) a plus
* Certifications such as PMP, Lean and Six Sigma a plus
Apply to Our Sunday Visitor (Senior Software Developer)
The best way to apply is by creating a DreamHire profile. This will ensure that your background and skills are accurate, and you can save your application as a draft and finish it later. It takes a few minutes to set up your profile.