Morningstar provides independent investment research to investors worldwide.
It offers internet, software, and print-based products for individuals, financial advisors, and institutions. It also supplies asset-management services to advisors, institutions, and retirement-plan participants.
This is a mid-level role that will lead the accounting and analysis for Morningstar Investment Services, LLC (MIS) which is a broker dealer and a regulated entity with the SEC and FINRA. Additionally, this role will assist with the oversight of the Morningstar Fund Trust (the Fund) with the Principal Financial Officer.
* Preparation of monthly general ledger closing journal entries, including revenue accruals, revenue true-ups, and cash receipts.
* Preparation of monthly general ledger account reconciliations, including Accounts Receivable, Deferred Revenue, and Unbilled Revenue.
* Preparation of monthly financial statements for the stand-alone Broker Dealer registered entity with the FINRA.
* Identify, analyze and research critical variances with Financial Analyst and management team (e.g. month over month comparisons and variances to forecast/budget).
* Perform continuous monitoring of the open receivables, cash receipts, and revenue adjustments recorded for the difference between the accrual and the cash receipts.
* Reconciliation of all intercompany transactions and due to /due from accounts for settlement
* Build and develop strong working relationships with the MIS management and operations teams.
* Direct interface with external auditor related to the annual FINRA required audit of the Broker Dealer.
* Assist in continuing efforts to improve operational efficiency through the development of policies and procedures
* Document all processes and policies for MIS accounting and financial reporting
* Work with the Fund’s Principal Financial Officer to establish, maintain and oversee the Fund’s revenue and operating expense budgets.
* Work with the Fund’s Principal Financial Officer to establish, maintain and oversee disclosure controls and internal control over financial reporting.
* Understand the Fund’s procedures supporting the calculation and payment of periodic distributions; NAV and asset pricing procedures; daily fund expense payment authorizations; and preparation of financial statements and shareholder reports (including semi-annual and annual reports and related SEC filings).
* Serve as a liaison between Funds Administrator and other service providers
* Participates in special projects and performs other duties as assigned.
* BS in Accounting or Finance
* 4-6 years of experience in a public accounting firm or finance or accounting organization
* Experience with broker dealer or fund accounting a plus
Apply to Morningstar (Senior Regulatory Accountant)
The best way to apply is by creating a DreamHire profile. This will ensure that your background and skills are accurate, and you can save your application as a draft and finish it later. It takes a few minutes to set up your profile.