We’re JLL. We’re a professional services and investment management firm specializing in real estate. We help organizations around the world achieve their ambitions by owning, occupying and investing in real estate.
We’re a Fortune 500 company. We work across 80 countries, in 280 different offices, with a team of over 60,000 individuals. And we look after a property portfolio of over 4bn square feet, all on behalf of our clients.
We are currently seeking a Cost Estimator to join our Project Development Services (“PDS”) group. This position will be based out of our Los Angeles office.
We are looking for individuals with experience in one or more of the following areas: Commercial Office, Retail, Hospitality, Healthcare, Industrial Project types will typically include renovations, tenant improvement, ground up build outs, and varying scale projects ($500,000 to $300M).
The successful candidate will be responsible for supporting Project Managers throughout our region which includes 6 main markets (Los Angeles, Orange County, San Diego, Hawaii, Las Vegas and Phoenix) in achieving service excellence and positive outcomes for our clients; showing high levels of technical capability, sound commercial knowledge and a good understanding of the key drivers of cost and value; capturing and sharing knowledge and driving innovation in service.
The position will require traditional estimating functions such as developing construction cost estimates from unit rates including mechanical, electrical, plumbing, and civil works. Create and maintain estimating and cost history databases to support role.
* Provide support to Market leads, Team Leaders and Project Managers in the delivery of projects; carry day to day delivery responsibility and demonstrate the ability to take on tasks with minimal supervision.
* Implement Cost Plans, Feasibility Estimates for design options and test-fits
* Value Engineering Estimates
* Utilize and embed best practice tools and processes including the use of technology to support delivery.
* Be able to interpret a brief from a client or senior manager and convert same into a delivery plan.
* Understand and comply with business risk and project delivery parameters including compliance in respect scopes of service agreed by others.
* Capture and share knowledge and be involved with the development of service improvement and innovation
* Develop and maintain estimating and cost databases.
* Candidate to be able to demonstrate, having taken a substantial role in delivery of small to large projects.
* Experience in reviewing and negotiating change orders
* Ability to perform detailed estimates in all stages of design, with the ability to provide relatively accurate allowances for items not fully detailed. Most estimates will be between Conceptual to Design Development, not Construction Documents.
* Excellent pre and post contract technical cost and commercial management skills.
* An in-depth knowledge of different construction processes.
* Experience with Budget & Milestone/Schedule Development, Management and Tracking
* Ability to Read & Understand Construction Drawings & Specification
* Dealing with Ambiguity – can effectively cope with change, can shift gears comfortably, can decide and act without having the total picture, can comfortably handle risk and uncertainty
* Self-Starter – able to start and complete projects independently
* Time Management – use time effectively and efficiently, can attend to a broader range of activities, gets more done in less time than others
* Written/Oral communications – ability to speak and write clearly and concisely, get messages across that have the desired effect
* Hard worker & Team Player - No task too small. Getting the job done and exceeding client expectations is the key to integrating successfully into our team
* Proven track record of working as an Cost Estimator for a General Contractor in Southern California
* Degree in related subject (Construction Management / Engineering)
* Minimum 8 years relevant experience in a private sector estimating role
* Currently residing in Southern California
The best way to apply is by creating a DreamHire profile. This will ensure that your background and skills are accurate, and you can save your application as a draft and finish it later. It takes a few minutes to set up your profile.