We Can Code IT is a technical academy that specializes in coding. Their coding Bootcamps focuses on inclusions in technology. They teach people on how to code, with a special emphasis on inclusion and diversity in tech. It bridges the gap for those underrepresented in tech and the groups susceptible to low to moderate incomes through education in software engineering and web development.
The company offers coding Bootcamps, diversity focused coding classes, programs for schools and libraries, an
We Can Code IT is the leading coding bootcamp with a focus on inclusion and diversity in technology. Our highly selective, world-class code academy is in search of our newest member. This position is for a Lead, Part-time Java Programming Instructor/Facilitator at our Columbus, OH campus.
* Educate and train adult students in Java, OO, MVC (Spring), and web development.
* Work with diverse students to engage them in fun, interactive in-person computer science instruction
* Provide pre-enrollment support for prospective students by leading free coding workshops and interviewing them prior to their acceptance into our computer programming intensive coding bootcamps
* Maintain expertise in Java, Spring, and Web Development
* Keep abreast of the latest and greatest technologies and educational concepts
* Work towards constantly improving curriculum
* Manage your classes Github repositories
* Grade students fairly and identify areas for improvement
* Give students consistent and respectful feedback on their performance, ensuring they understand their strengths and areas to improve
* Assist the junior instructors in tutoring students, paying special attention to individual students’ needs so they are addressed appropriately
* Assist in inclusion efforts so all students feel accepted in the tech field
* Communicate with students via phone, email, Slack, face-to-face and web meetings to help them through challenges they are facing
* Communicate daily with junior instructors to assess student progress and map out student success strategies
* Assist junior instructors in grading and managing student progress within the course
* Be the student advocate and liaison with employers as well as the administration team
* Backup the administration and junior instruction staff as needed
* During breaks between cohorts, you are meeting with the team to improve lesson plans and curriculum, lead community events, and help out other team members.
* Excellent Communicator. You are kind, fun, resourceful, and an advocate for all students. You can read a room well and help students be forthright in expressing any concerns. You are not afraid to speak up and are thoughtful about your verbal and non-verbal communication.
* Experienced. 5 or more years’ experience computer programming.
* Highly Technical . You have strong technical skills across various technologies and are masterful at:
* Team Player. You are an amazing coder who isn’t arrogant. You want everyone else around you to be respected and honored for their amazing skills. You thrive on the success of others and of the group. You mentor junior talent so they see their own strengths. You don’t let balls drop and do what needs to be done to with teammates to deliver the best accelerated computer science education around.
* Creative Facilitator. Your goal isn’t to show students how smart you are, but to break things down for them in real-world examples. You facilitate students’ learning instead of lecture. You model best behaviors. You creatively come up with ways to explain concepts based on students’ backgrounds and learning styles. You provide many styles of instruction. You let your ego go in order to mentor students to be their best. You understand that education is not just about learning the technical details, but also supporting students from an emotional standpoint as they enter into a new phase of their lives.
* Energetic and Enthusiastic. You passionately believe in our mission to bring inclusion and diversity to tech, and won’t settle on mediocre results.
* Reliable. Your students are your focus. You know this and are passionate about their success. You don’t flake out and miss class. You are punctual, reliable, and caring.
The best way to apply is by creating a DreamHire profile. This will ensure that your background and skills are accurate, and you can save your application as a draft and finish it later. It takes a few minutes to set up your profile.