In an uncertain world, Travelers is an insurance leader, committed to keeping pace with the ever-changing needs of our customers, and anticipating their needs for the future. There is no stronger testament to our dedication to protecting customers from loss than our continued innovation and ability to transform our industry.
The mission of Corporate Audit is to provide objective, independent, risk-based internal control evaluations throughout the company, to support the company's Sarbanes-Oxley compliance initiatives through timely and professional advisory services and objective evaluation of key controls, and provide our personnel with the opportunity to enhance their personal and career development at Travelers while striving to continuously improve our quality and proficiency. The Auditor has an integral role in accomplishing this mission.
* Participates in audits and Sarbanes-Oxley compliance reviews of various company business functions, incorporating an understanding of business processes, risk assessment techniques, GAAP and statutory accounting principles, and generally accepted auditing standards.
* Identifies risks and tests controls associated with financial integrity, operational effectiveness, compliance with rules and regulations, and systems and data integrity.
* Develops audit plans, programs and specific tests to evaluate control areas.
* Analyzes findings and test results and arrives at sound fact-based conclusions and appropriate recommendations for problem areas noted.
* Prepares documentation in adherence to internal audit professional standards, best practices and Corporate Audit's methodology.
* Contributes to the preparation of issues and findings including recommendations for improvement.
* Other duties as assigned.
**Education, Work Experience & Knowledge**
* BA/BS in Accounting or Finance or equivalent work experience preferred.
* Willingness to travel 15% of the time, on average.
* Certified Public Accountant or Certified Internal Auditor a plus.
* 1-3 years work experience in either audit or property casualty business preferred.
* Understanding of risk assessment, accounting, and auditing principles preferred.
**Job Specific & Technical Skills & Competencies**
* Technical Competence Understand the relationships between financial, technical and operational risks and controls as well as the insurance industry.
* Understand the audit universe and plan.
Hold advanced skills with commonly used office software including: MS Office, email and the internet.
* Leadership Skills Maintain a big-picture perspective and embrace change.
* Plan ahead and organize tasks, manage time well, be on time and be cost conscious.
* Maintain a "no-surprises" approach when communicating internally.
* Be receptive to feedback, willing to learn and embrace continuous improvement.
* Professional Presence Demonstrate integrity and ethical standards in all work.
* Display professional image (conduct, attire, etc).
* Use diplomacy in all interactions with customers.
* Take ownership of work, doing what is needed without being asked, follow through.
* Produce high quality work using standard electronic tools (TeamMate and EGRCM) Sensitivity to cultural diversity.
* Continuously develop skills and knowledge base through continuing education .
* Communication and Writing Skills Write and edit clear and concise work papers and reports.
* Articulate messages to customer base through formal and informal presentations.
* Build Relationships Build relationships with business unit peers, external auditors, peers in other departments and professional groups; develop a sensitivity to organizational change.
**Equal Employment Opportunity Statement**
* Travelers is an equal opportunity employer.