Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. is the world leader in serving science, with revenues of $18 billion and more than 55,000 employees globally. Our mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. We help our customers accelerate life sciences research, solve complex analytical challenges, improve patient diagnostics and increase laboratory productivity.
We are seeking a talented Sr. Staff Scientist who will plan and lead laboratory experiments and assays associated with the development of novel cell culture media formulations and processes within our Grand Island, NY location.
* Independently designs experimental plans, leads study execution, analyzes experimental data, generates laboratory protocols, and writes technical reports, quantitative analyses, and product summaries
* Works on complex and challenging problems of broad scope where analysis of situations or data requires a comprehensive evaluation of numerous factors within aggressive timelines
* Troubleshoots and solves difficult problems in the design/execution of development projects
* Exercises practical judgment within broadly defined practices and policies and exhibits creativity and foresight in selecting approaches and techniques for obtaining solutions
* Investigates, creates, and incorporates new methods and technologies to improve effectiveness of development workflows
* Applies expertise and knowledge of industry trends to identify new opportunities for novel product offerings that address customer pain points in support of long-term business goals
* Maintains accurate lab notebook to support protection of intellectual property in accordance with relevant Thermo Fisher required standards
* Maintains high level of professional expertise and substantial knowledge of principles and theories through familiarity with competing technologies and/or products, review of current scientific literature, and attendance at scientific seminars and meetings
* Presents data at scientific conferences (external and internal) and prepares relevant publications
* Interacts closely with other internal departments (i.e., Marketing, Business Development, Quality, Operations and/or Technical Services) and with key thought leaders within the industry in the commercialization of new products
* Complies with all company safety, training, and quality regulations (e.g., ISO compliance, GLP/GMP requirements, etc.) and procedures.
* May be required to perform other related duties as required and/or assigned
* Bachelor’s degree with 10 plus years of experience, Master's degree with 7 plus years of experience, or Ph.D. degree with 4 plus years of experience in Chemical or Biochemical engineering, Biochemistry or other related discipline, or equivalent knowledge and experience.
* Expertise in the methods and techniques of eukaryotic (esp mammalian) cell bioprocessing workflows and process development.
* Prior Industrial experience in continuous bioprocess development for human biotherapeutic applications (perfusion/chemostat-based culture methods).
* Proven proficiency in data analysis, research design, troubleshooting, and the evaluation of new technologies and procedures for manufacturing reagents, systems, or products
* Demonstrated ability to identify and solve problems.
* Excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to interpret and summarize scientific results in a clear, concise, and accurate manner.
* Excellent organizational skills, including the ability to efficiently evaluate, prioritize, and adapt to changing project priorities.
* Previous experience leading small technical teams.
* Experience working in cross-functional team-based environments.
* Familiarity with project management techniques including tracking of project progress, resources and issues.
* Staff Scientist works in a laboratory environment and is required to lift up to 40 lbs.
* May be required to stand for long periods of time while performing duties and able to work safely with chemicals and hazardous materials.
* Must be able to work flexible hours. There are travel requirements of 5 – 25 %.
* Understanding of regulatory requirements needed to advance a biotherapeutic molecule/process through clinical trials into manufacturing.
* Previous cell culture experience with cell lines used in protein production applications (e.g. CHO, HEK293, NS0).
* Experience with scale-down models of bioreactors, including high-throughput cell culture technologies (e.g. ambr15, Tube Spin).
* Experience in scale-up and transfer of culture processes.
The best way to apply is by creating a DreamHire profile. This will ensure that your background and skills are accurate, and you can save your application as a draft and finish it later. It takes a few minutes to set up your profile.