Smithfield Foods is a leading consumer packaged meats company.
We are also the world’s largest pork processor and hog producer, committed to providing good food in a responsible way. We accomplish that by maintaining robust animal care, community involvement, employee safety, environmental, and food safety and quality programs.
*The position summary states the general nature and purpose of the job. Overall accountabilities are defined in this section.*
The Assistant Safety Manager is responsible for assisting the Plant Safety Manager in promoting a healthy and safe workplace at the designated facility and can be a primary resource for the facility management at another designated facility. These duties will be accomplished by providing technical expertise to the plant safety and health teams, providing training on safety and health topics, and promoting active employee involvement in the safety process. This position works under minimal supervision and a certain degree of creativity and latitude is required.
**25% Safety Audits**
* Perform documented safety tours and report findings to the facility management.
* Perform audits of written program compliance and team activities.
* Inspection of facility equipment and processes for potential safety and health hazards.
* Identify potential hazards to people, processes or property and recommend corrective action to facility management.
* Audit outside contractor activity.
* Support safety programs to ensure Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) compliance for multiple facilities.
* Analyze statistical data from injury/illness/loss reports and apply appropriate risk management process controls.
**20% Safety & Management Advisor**
* Plant safety team meetings and associated tasks.
* Monitor safety and health team performance and make recommendations for improvement.
* Provide technical expertise and support to safety team.
* Act as a liaison between team members and management staff as needed for multiple facilities
**20% Administrative Documentation and Organization**
* Ensure training and document is maintained with applicable laws and regulations.
* Ensure supervisory personnel are aware of employee restrictions due to work-related injury or illness.
* Ensure employees are working within those restrictions.
* Participate in accident investigation process.
**20% Safety & Risk Management Documentation & Training**
* Conduct safety and risk management portion of employee orientation and training.
* Prepare written safety meeting documentation for supervisory use.
* Ensure written programs and policies and work practices are in compliance with applicable regulatory agencies.
* Ensure training materials are current and comply with OSHA requirements.
**10% OSHA Compliance Sampling**
* Collect industrial hygiene samples to ensure OSHA compliance as needed.
* Assist with sample interpretation and recommendations.
**5% Safety Activities**
* Special projects and initiatives to work on independently and present findings to the plant management and/or corporate management.
*The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as assigned.*
*To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.*
* Bachelor’s degree in a safety or related technical field and 2 years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
* CPR/First Aid certified, preferred.
* OSHA 40 hour Industrial Construction, preferred.
* Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
* Must be able to travel on an occasional basis.
The best way to apply is by creating a DreamHire profile. This will ensure that your background and skills are accurate, and you can save your application as a draft and finish it later. It takes a few minutes to set up your profile.